Saturday, November 29, 2008

dinner and a movie?

I have lots of male friends who are not single. I'm not interested in dating them, for the most part, and I would never put the moves on someone who's involved. I think it's fine to have friendships with people of all genders without assuming romance.

I have a married friend I go out with now and then. I don't intend to date him, we just pal around (have you heard this before?) and he was nice to talk to when I was busting up with my squeeze. One of those guys who's willing to give advice and be nice to a girl in need.

One night we were out, just drinks and chit chat. He invited me back to check out his studio space, which I'd never seen but always wanted to. We did, it was cool, but at one point I felt like we were on a date. I left, no weird goodbyes, I forgot about it.

Anyway, one night we wanted to hang out, and he suggested dinner after work. I suggested any of a half dozen cheap joints I haunt; he suggested a restaurant near where I work. I'd never been there. I'm not picky (apart from being a vegetarian), so I agreed.

Unusually, I got there early, The joint was hardly such, low lighting and a menu with entrees over $10 each, hardly my scene. I waited outside for my pal, who was not so late.

Next thing you know, we're killing a bottle of decent wine of a type I'd never had (he ordered), he's looking too intensely into my eyes as he talks about whatever. He tried to pay for dinner, I threw down half. A girl I kind of know was at the restaurant, & I said hi. She was acting like a complete weird-o. Dinner done, we left and parted amicably and unromantically outside.

Next day I got an email from the girl apologizing for acting like a spazz, but she thought she was interrupting a date. (Why would it be ok to act like a spazz if someone's on a date?) I said she hadn't, but then I realized I was accidentally dating a married man.

1 comment:

  1. I had a similar thing happen to me once. A married guy I was friends with. Then one time he came to visit and all we did was have a pizza lunch and talk about life and he asked me to not tell his wife. And I was like, why? There is nothing going on between us. Oh yeah, well not at my end....

    ReplyDelete